Academy Classes Begin Sept. 30th!
What sets a professional apart from everyone else? Talent, for sure, but professional performers will tell you that talent without training is “wasted.” The Hannibal region boasts many talented people but there have been few, if any, opportunities to enjoy high-quality professional training in theater.
The academy is structured to move students through the fundamentals of performing from little or no knowledge and experience to a high level of competence and confidence on stage.
Whether your goal is to improve your performances in school or community productions, to land that big part or to pursue your acting career in college or professionally down the road, our programs will help you get there.
Here at the BCT Academy we are interested in working with those who like to perform and want to get better at it.
Starting with the basics-movement, improvisation and voice we’ll take you through more advanced training in scene and character development. We’ll give you lots of opportunities to practice your skills in front of live audiences.
Class size is limited to 12 per instructor to make sure each participant receives personal attention.
Tuition support is available for low-income families. Please see the administrator to apply for help.
Beginning Acting I: (Ages 7 – 11)
Saturdays 9:00 am – 10:00am
$99 per session or $159 if combined with Singing (below)
This introduction to acting is for children who want to explore theater and get comfortable performing in front of an audience. Acting 1 ends with a showcase in the Spring. Parents will be invited to a class in December.
Classes focus on:
- Voice and movement exercises
- Introduction to parts of the stage and blocking
- Playing with the imagination to “make it real”
- Improvised scenes on Who, What, Where, and When
- Prepare monologues for BCT Young Company auditions
- Perform in a final showcase at the end of the course
SINGING FOR THE STAGE: Ages 7 – 11
Saturdays, 10:15 am – 11:15 am
$99 or $159 if combined with Acting (above)
In a positive and encouraging atmosphere this class is for boys and girls who want to develop their singing voice in a chorus. These skills are important when performing in musical theater as a chorus member or as a lead. Each session ends with a performance for the community.
- Practice proper singing techniques
- Strengthen pitch, tone modulation, and projection
- Learn a variety of songs and styles with movements
- Identify the story of a song and how to express it
- Perform for the community and at the final Showcase
Solo Singing for the Stage II: Ages 11 – 16
Saturdays, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
$159 for the semester
This class is for young performers who want to take their skills to the next level in anticipation of taking on lead roles in musicals. Focus will be on solos, duets and trios with harmony. This course requires significant singing experience and may require an audition. Each participant will receive group and individual attention.
- Improve projection and sustaining the voice safely
- Strengthen emotional range in performing and singing
- Enhance tone, pitch, and singing in harmony
- Find the story to be told in a song
- Explore different character types
- Prepare audition songs
- Work with professional guest artists
- Perform scenes, solos and ensembles in the Final Showcase
Improv Acting for Adults for Fun or Work
September 28 – November 9 – Thursdays, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
$79 for 7 classes
Responding to popular demand, we are pleased to introduce this fun and informative program for adults. Improv is one of the oldest and most popular form of stage performance. Learn to think on your feet, overcome shyness, find the humor in a situation and play to and off an audience.
Improv training helps you master a variety of life and work situations.
- Improve projection and presence
- Strengthen emotional range in performing
- Collaborate with other actors and the audience to create situations and humor
- Find the story to be told in any situation
- Learn how story-telling enhances your effectiveness
- Taught by professionals
- Perform in the Final Showcase
You may enroll for a class or classes by completing the online form below.